Call for Authors
The 2nd Heartland Fall Forum, the trade show that combines the Great Lakes Region and the Midwest region, serving independent booksellers in 12 states, will be in Chicago this fall. The show will be held on Thursday through Sunday, October 3-6 at the beautifully redesigned Crowne Plaza O’Hare.
Author appearances are an exciting feature of the show. We have the following opportunities for authors to participate.
- Author reception: We’ll be celebrating the rich diversity of literature in the Chicago area as we welcome booksellers to the show. Please pitch your Chicago based authors for a fun event.
- Awards Luncheon: Winners of the MIBA book awards will be invited to speak
- Reading Room – 3 authors
- Author’s Feast: Keynote address and table rotation during dinner. Book personalization and chatting afterwards. 30 authors
- · Regional Authors Booth: ½ hour slots for signing on the show floor
- · Reception with autographing session: 32 authors
- · Booksellers Banquet: 3 keynote authors
- · 3 Genre Panels: possibly Fantasy, Mystery, YA, 3 authors each
- · Children’s Brunch: 3 Keynote Speakers
Send us your ideas for featuring your cookbook author’s recipes at one of our meal events or receptions. We will work with the hotel kitchen staff to select the recipes they can easily follow.
The Real World
We'd like to consider your pitches for hosting authors on an array of topics, such as creativity, business, success, time management, local economies, community-building, and the like. We're actively looking for an inspiring speaker for a common session for all attendees. Authors could also be included in our author events or perhaps an educational session.
Please email your pitches to both Rita Williams and Deb Leonard at the email addresses listed below along with the following information.
- Your suggestions for which events the authors could be featured in.
- A brief description of the book (no more than a paragraph).
- The book jacket.
- The author's photo and bio.
The sooner we receive your author suggestions the better. We will be filling slots as appropriate authors are found. The deadline is July 1. You’ll receive a confirmation and shipping instructions as decisions are made.
The Fine Print
- As a nonprofit corporation, we're charging an administration fee of $75 per author.
- We suggest you focus on late-Summer, Fall 2013, or forthcoming Winter 2014 books. We'll also consider Spring 2013 books that complement our roster.
- Publishers or the book's rep group or distributor need to be an exhibitor in order to send an author to the show.
- Consider hosting a table at whichever meal event your author is participating in and invite booksellers to dine with you.
- The number of books requested for signing varies with the event. This information will be in your confirmation materials.
- Shipping instructions are sent with the confirmation materials.
- Shipping, delivery, and drayage charges for books are the responsibility of the publisher.
Your support in sponsoring these author events and providing books is crucial to our success. If you have any questions or comments, be sure to let us know. With your help, we anticipate another productive and inspiring trade show.
Deb Leonard Rita Williams
Executive Director Author Coordinator
Great Lakes Independent Booksellers Association Heartland Fall Forum 2013
734-340-6397/ Fax 734-879-1129 330-995-9726/ Fax 330-995-3229